Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Technology Fast 500 | 2008
There are more fast growing technology companies in Massachusetts than in any other state, except California.
The Deloitte Technology Fast 500 List for 2008 has been announced and Massachusetts boasts 46 companies.
The Fast 500 ranks the fastest-growing technology, media, telecommunications and life sciences companies in North America. Companies are selected based on percentage revenue growth from 2003 to 2007.
Technology Fast 500
Here are the 46 Massachusetts companies that made this year's Technology Fast 500 list [NOTE: Sign in to your LinkedIn account on a separate tab, then click the "in" icon to reveal your connections at that company.]:
- Starent Networks Corp. | Tewksbury
- NxStage Medical, Inc. | Lawrence
- Interleukin Genetics, Inc. | Waltham
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc. | Lexington
- Airvana, Inc. | Chelmsford
- Wave Systems Corp. | Lee
- DUSA Pharmaceuticals, Inc. | Wilmington
- LogMeIn, Inc. | Woburn
- mValent | Waltham
- Grandstream Networks, Inc. | Brookline
- SiGe Semiconductor, Inc. | Andover
- AgencyPort Insurance Services, Inc. | Boston
- IneoQuest Technologies, Inc. | Mansfield
- Momenta Pharmaceuticals, Inc. | Cambridge
- Indevus Pharmaceuticals | Lexington
- SoundBite Communications, Inc. | Bedford
- Vertical Communications, Inc. | Cambridge
- Oscient Pharmaceuticals Corporation | Waltham
- Constant Contact, Inc. | Waltham
- Bullhorn, Inc. | Boston
- Evergreen Solar, Inc. | Marlboro
- Idera Pharmaceuticals, Inc. | Cambridge
- CharterAuction.com, Inc. (DBA Jets.com) | Quincy
- Altus Pharmaceuticals | Cambridge
- Salary.com, Inc. | Waltham
- BirdDog Solutions, Inc. | Andover
- IPG Photonics Corporation | Oxford
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. | Waltham
- Alkermes, Inc. | Cambridge
- ImmunoGen, Inc. | Cambridge
- Clinical Data, Inc. | Newton
- NeuroMetrix, Inc. | Waltham
- Biogen Idec, Inc. | Cambridge
- iRobot Corporation | Burlington
- Cynosure, Inc. | Westford
- Nuance Communications, Inc. | Burlington
- athenahealth, Inc. | Watertown
- Sycamore Networks, Inc. | Chelmsford
- Akamai Technologies, Inc. | Cambridge
- Averion International Corp. | Southborough
- Hittite Microwave Corporation | Chelmsford
- Sepracor, Inc. | Marlborough
- Hologic, Inc. | Bedford
- Palomar Medical Technologies, Inc. | Burlington
- Sonus Networks, Inc. | Westford
- Double-Take Software, Inc. | Southborough
The Next Step
According to one conclusion from the 7th Annual Sources of Hire Study:
"Good or bad, we advise job seekers to never apply to a company without first networking to an employee in that firm for a referral. The difference in probability of getting 'up to bat' is too large to ignore."
If you believe you can excel in a fast growing organization, then tap into your LinkedIn network to gain an introduction into that organization and explore ways in which you can add your unique value to their operation.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
RHT IT Hiring Index | Q1 2009
Interviews were conducted with 200 chief information officers (CIOs) from companies in the
In the Boston metro area, information technology (IT) hiring projections for the first quarter are as follows:
- add staff | 15 percent
- reduce staff | 3 percent
Nationally, the ratio is as follows:
- add staff | 12 percent
- reduce staff | 4 percent
So, IT hiring looks promising in the New Year, especially in the Boston metro area.
IT Skills in Demand
According to the Executive Director of Robert Half Technology,
“Investments in Web 2.0 initiatives continue to generate demand in areas such as web development..."
Web development & website design was cited by 42% of CIOs nationally as being most in-demand in their organization. Here are the skills CIOs will be looking for in early 2009:
A national press release about the quarterly Robert Half Technology IT Hiring Index and Skills Report is available from the company's website. PR Newswire provides a press release that breaks out the metro Boston survey results.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Boston Market | December 2008
Pessimism about the U.S. economy abounds. Here are just two examples.
AIGA’s Design Leaders Confidence Index
A quarterly survey of nearly 300 leaders in the graphic & Web design community reveals that only one in eight is likely to increase staff during the next six months. The survey generated the lowest readings since its creation in 2005. Details can be found by accessing a press release from AIGA | the professional association for design.
The Business Roundtable CEO Economic Outlook Index
A quarterly survey of chief executive officers (CEOs) of leading corporations were asked the following question (responses included):
How do you expect your company’s U.S. employment to change in the next six months?
- Increase | 9%
- No Change | 32%
- Decrease | 60%
Companies that belong to the Business Roundtable comprise nearly a third of the total value of the U.S. stock markets and represent a combined workforce of nearly 10 million employees. Access a press release (pdf version) for details.
A close look at the job market for Web technology professionals reveals a steep contraction in opportunities available online at Boston.com. The Top 20 Web Technologies in Boston have been updated and are posted in the right-hand column.
Job opportunities have evaporated by approximately 28% since early November. Interestingly, the four technologies that experienced the gentlest declines were Microsoft related:
- Web Services | 9%
- ASP.NET | 18%
- C# | 20%
- SQL Server | 21%
In a challenging job market productive workers with a collection of in-demand skills are valued above others. If you are in job transition, consider expanding your skillset with FREE training.
On Monday, December 15, Microsoft will offer a day-long series of seminars at their Waltham office to help inform development professionals about their latest Web-related technologies that include the following:
- Visual Studio 2008
- and more!
Simply access The Winter Northeast MSDN Roadshow for details and registration information about additional New England training sessions.
FREE training to upgrade your skills at a networking event including Boston-area Web professionals! Santa arrives early.