CIO magazine surveyed more than 500 CIOs on various topics for the 2007 version of their annual report called The State of the CIO. Since Web-related projects are coordinated, either directly or indirectly, through IT departments, Web professionals should be aware of the challenges facing today's IT leaders. Let's review a summary of the survey results.
More than half of CIOs expect to add full-time staff in 2007. The top three skills most in demand are the following:
- project management (52%)
- application development (50%)
- database management (39%)
Web-related technology solutions were rated lower on the list of skill sets in demand:
- Web services (32%)
- Website development (26%)
CIOs need help. They are swamped with work citing the biggest barrier to job effectiveness as follows:
- Overwhelming backlog of requests/projects
- Enable business innovation (54%)
- Reduce business costs (48%)
- Improve customer (external) satisfaction (48%)
- Create competitive advantage (38%)
Before your next meeting with a business leader to discuss a Web project download and review a copy of the 2007 State of the CIO survey. The 16-page summary is free, but registration is required. By understanding the IT needs of an organization you will be in better position to solve problems, overcome objections and land the assignment.