Major professional sports teams in Boston have won eight championships this century.
Patriots: 2002 Super Bowl
Patriots: 2003 Super Bowl
Red Sox: 2004 World Series
Patriots: 2005 Super Bowl
Red Sox: 2007 World Series
Celtics: 2008 NBA Championship
Bruins: 2011 Stanley Cup
Red Sox: 2013 World Series
Eight is the new standard for performance. You need eight to make The List. You need eight LinkedIn recommendations to make The List of Boston's most-recommended recruiters -- Boston's Rockstar Recruiters.
Boston's Top 100 Technology Recruiters
In the fall of 2012 Beantown Web asked the question, "Who are Boston's Rockstar Recruiters?" Welcome to the 10th installment of The List.
To begin the quest, Beantown Web identified more than 400 technology recruiters via LinkedIn. Most are located in the Boston area. Some are located in New Hampshire and Rhode Island and conduct a significant amount of business in the Boston area.
Beantown Web then turned to LinkedIn to identify customer satisfaction scores. In particular, how many people were willing to provide a public recommendation for each recruiter?
Members of Boston's professional sports teams have championship rings to display their achievements. The rest of us mere mortals have to make due with LinkedIn recommendations to recognize accomplishments on our field of play.
Only one out of four technology recruiters in the Boston metro area has earned Boston Rockstar Recruiter status with at least eight LinkedIn recommendations received.
Boston's Top 10 Technology Recruiters
Boston's Top 10 Rockstar Recruiters perform to a higher standard. The best in the recruiting business have received at least 39 LinkedIn recommendations each.
Here are the Top 10 Boston Rockstar Recruiters for the first quarter of 2015 [number of LinkedIn recommendations received + given]:
- Scott Dunlop [96 + 6] -- The Bivium Group
- Chris Fountas [93 + 8] -- AVID Technical Resources
- Doug Schade [70 + 10] -- Winter Wyman
- Jamie LeBlanc [69 + 2] -- The Bivium Group
- John VanderSande [61 +2] -- WinterWyman
- Roy Evans [44 + 17] -- CyberCoders
- Brendan Andersen [41 + 16] -- CyberCoders
- Chris Mitchell [40 + 4] -- Winter Wyman
- Danielle Lief [39 + 8] -- InnoTECH Staffing
- David Honig [39 + 0] -- MarketSearch
Top 10 in Assists
Some players are valuable because they score a lot of points. Others pass the ball effectively. This second list ranks "assists." It answers the following question:
"Of the recruiters listed in the Top 100, who are the most generous in offering recommendations to others?"The Top 10 most generous Boston Rockstar Recruiters for the fourth quarter [number of LinkedIn recommendations given + received] are as follows:
- David Perlman [58 + 19] -- Grenadier Search Group
- Scott Ragusa [37 + 25] -- Winter Wyman
- Marsh Sutherland [31 + 11] -- Walden Recruiting
- Carol Taylor [29 + 17] -- Private Clients
- Andrea Williams [25 + 28] -- Career Minded Recruiting LLC
- Kelley White [19 + 18] -- Advantage Technical Resourcing
- Phil Hurd [18 + 34] -- Oculus Search Partners, LLC
- Roy Evans [17 + 44] -- CyberCoders
- Sean Dowling [17 + 23] -- Winter Wyman
- Jeff Sweet [17 + 19] -- VLink, Inc.
Finally, the team scores. The following teams placed the most recruiters (at least two) in the Top 100 [number of recruiters in the Top 100]:
- Digital People 
- Global Technical Talent, Inc. 
- HireMinds 
- Jobspring Partners 
- Lightwave Partners 
- New Dimensions in Technology, Inc. (NDT) 
- Onward Search 
- Oxford International 
- Talener 
- The Bivium Group 
There are no championships for technical recruiting performance. There are no trophies to hoist or rings to wear. There is no measure we can all agree on to decide which recruiter or recruiting firm might work best for you as a candidate or as a hiring manager.
However, there is one place to start your search. It is the same place many of us start when buying a car, or looking for a plumber or finding a dentist. That place is personal recommendations. LinkedIn provides personal recommendations.
If you have technical skills and believe you offer above average value in the marketplace, then consider working with recruiters who have consistently demonstrated above average customer service.
The List of Boston's Rockstar Recruiters is made available exclusively to the 400+ Web Design and Web Development alumni of CDIA, some of the most talented designers and developers I have the pleasure to teach, mentor and collaborate with. You will hear more about the CDIA Alumni in the very near future. Until then, rock on!
[ NOTE: You can follow Beantown Web on Twitter @webapprentices and become a Fan of Beantown Web on Facebook. ]